ActionAid USA is a member of the global ActionAid federation, a network of some 25 million people who are committed to advancing social justice and gender equity worldwide. ActionAid believes that we can bring an end to poverty and injustice by investing in local problem solvers – people who are determined and committed, and motivated to change the world around them. That’s why we actively invest in powerful people living in poverty and exclusion in 45 countries around the world; problem solvers who know what’s needed to change lives within their own communities, and have the power to mobilize and inspire others.
About the Position
As an essential part of the Development team, the Development Intern is responsible for a variety of research, fundraising, and administrative tasks that support ActionAid USA’s annual fundraising goal, and fuel social justice programs in the US and around the world. Working closely with AAUSA’s four-person Development team, the Development Intern is primarily responsible for the following tasks:
· Support foundations fundraising (50%):
o Conduct initial prospecting research on foundations in the US and Canada to determine their viability as potential funders for ActionAid USA/the global ActionAid federation.
o Work closely with the Foundations Manager to determine which foundations merit comprehensive research, and develop detailed profiles to support outreach efforts.
o Record donor research in the online donor database (Salesforce).
o Assist the Foundations Manager on informational exchanges with colleagues around the world to gather programmatic knowledge and share out information on US/Canadian foundations.
· Support individual fundraising (30%):
o Conduct initial prospecting research on major donors (high net-worth individuals) in the US and Canada to determine their viability as potential funders for ActionAid USA/the global ActionAid federation.
o Assist the Major Gifts Officer in scoping networking events to connect with potential donors.
o Assist in coordinating and executing donor events and activities.
o Work with the Individual Giving Manager to craft online appeals for low-dollar donors.
o Assist the Individual Giving Manager in maintaining the online donor database and donation system (Salesforce).
· Support team administrative functions (20%):
o Take and disseminate meeting notes.
o Provide data input support for the Director of Development (limited).
o Manage special research/information-gathering projects as requested by the Executive Director, Director of Development, or Development staff.
· Currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in international affairs, international development, non-profit management, public policy, human rights, women’s rights, peace studies, conflict resolution, a specific region of the Global South, or similar course of study.
· Demonstrated interest in social justice, climate justice, and/or gender equality.
· Organized, excellent attention to detail, and able to manage multiple tasks with variable deadlines.
· A strong self-starter with good problem-solving skills.
· A capable written and verbal communicator, with a talent for summarizing large amounts of information into clear, concise summaries.
· A team player, willing to work with and take direction from various members of the team on different projects.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please write “Last name, First name and Development Internship” No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: We will begin considering applicants from May 5, 2017 until the opportunity is filled.