New York NY
Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Editor of Barnard Magazine, as an important member of the College's news team, will be responsible for the full production of four (4) print and online issues of the magazine per academic year, and will oversee content strategy of the magazine on social media and other alumnae and Barnard official channels. The magazine is intended to raise the College's public profile and build alumnae involvement. As such, the Editor is responsible for helping bring Barnard's strategic messages and positioning to alumnae, faculty, and other members of the Barnard community, as well as to those outside the community, through the quality and vigor of its editorial material. The magazine also keeps important constituencies updated on major events and news relating to the College.
As a member of the Communications team, the Editor will also be called on for writing, editing, copyediting, and proofreading, as needed, of digital and other content produced by the department.
Essential Duties Summary
- Establish editorial vision and design in keeping with College standards and overall organizational goals and mission.
- As a liaison to the Alumnae Relations team, the Editor will collaborate with the team on the editorial vision of the magazine and stay attuned to alumnae feedback and initiatives.
- Develop appealing and innovative content for all issues and formats of Barnard Magazine (four 4 issues per academic year), working closely with a freelance art director, creative director, and the editorial director.
- Work with freelance art director to upload magazine content from InDesign to CMS (Drupal) and make online revisions as needed.
- Set and manage yearly budget.
- Collaborate with departments and communities across the College to source content ideas.
- Produce all four (4) issues in a timely manner, per the production schedule.
- Create and produce-with input and assistance from the art director, freelance writers, illustrators, and photographers-the overall editorial content for each issue. Stories and articles should be planned to feature various College constituencies: alumnae, faculty, students, and administrative staff.
- Work with College's news team and freelance writers to research topics, set article line-ups, determine deadlines, and maintain production schedules.
- Source and manage a team of top-notch freelance writers and editors.
- Work with news team to create supplemental digital content for Barnard site.
- Work with the director of digital strategy to market content on social media channels and with the media relations director to coordinate media outreach efforts.
- Set the editorial calendar and production schedule with the printer.
- Oversee and edit the Class Notes section, in collaboration with the Alumnae Relations department.
- Oversee and implement periodic readership polls and assessment.
- Become acquainted with, and be able to serve as a contact for, information and clarification regarding key alumnae, faculty, students, deans, directors, and, depending on experience and expertise, executive officers and outside freelancers.
- Attend occasional alumnae and campus events during evening or weekend hours.
- Perform additional production duties and responsibilities, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional editorial viewpoint and vision.
- Strong understanding of periodical print and digital publishing.
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, edit, and write high-quality articles/content on a variety of topics.
- Ability to identify, secure, lead, and manage multiple creative resources.
- Ability to prioritize, set, and abide by project deadlines, as well as ensure that deadlines are met by others.
- Excellent organization, time-management, analytical, and problem-solving skills, along with a high degree of flexibility.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment, present ideas persuasively, and collaborate with other Communications colleagues, as well as various departments of the College.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential material with grace and diplomacy.
Required Qualification Summary
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred in creative writing, journalism, English, or related field.
- Minimum 7 to 10 years of editorial experience, preferably in magazine, book, or custom publishing; an eye for photography, layout, and design is desirable.
- Fluency in standard content, productivity and design applications, including Microsoft Office, InDesign, InCopy, and Adobe PhotoShop.
- Proficiency in CMS /web publishing (preferably Drupal).
- Willingness to work outside standard business hours, when required.
- Experience working with higher education institutions preferred