Special Events and Development Intern
Silver Spring MD
NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland (NPCM), the state's largest grassroots pro-choice organization, has been working to protect choice for over 30 years.
Our mission is to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every individual the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
About the Special Events and Development Intern Position:
The Special Events and Development Intern position provides an exciting opportunity to gain valuable experience in non-profit fundraising, event planning, and other critical aspects of non-profit development. The intern will assist with special events, membership development, and foundation grants.
If you are interested in learning the ends and outs of nonprofit fundraising, this is the perfect opportunity for you! You will have the chance to work closely with the Executive Director, giving you invaluable experience with fundraising and event planning.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of our largest annual benefit
- Assist in production of donor mailings
- Explore grant opportunities and assist with preparation of grant proposals
- Help process in-coming payments and other financial contributions
- Assist in database management (i.e. updating contacts, generating reports)
- Assist with other tasks or events as needed, including volunteer events.
Qualified applicants will:
- Possess strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to make calls to a wide variety of people from donors to local businesses with comfort and confidence;
- Be a self-starter who is able to take initiative on individual projects;
- Possess strong organizational/multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and have an ability to meet deadlines on time;
- Possess ability to work well independently and in cooperative decision-making settings;
- Be a strong writer, researcher, and editor; be familiar with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and the Internet;
- Support the full range of reproductive options for women including birth control, bearing healthy children, adoption, and safe, legal abortion.
Compensation: This internship is unpaid, but includes a $125 transportation stipend per month. If the intern's school offers credit for internships, NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland will work with the intern and the intern's school help the intern meet the requirements. (Ability to earn credit is not required.)
Some travel required; candidates must have reliable transportation. A minimum of 15-20 hours per week is required, 20-25 hours per week preferred. Scheduling is flexible based on applicant’s availability. Much of internship activities will take place at our office in Silver Spring (Metro accessible) during office hours (9am-5pm, Mon-Fri). Occasional evenings and weekends required. All day & night availability for Friday, October 20, for our annual gala is required.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to Chelsea Yarborough at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please include proposed start and end dates and whether you are interested stipend only, or, if you are interested the stipend and class credit, what the basic requirements are for you to receive credit that we should be aware of during hiring. (For example, some programs require a supervisor with specific academic credentials or require a certain number of hours of work.)