The Center for Global Development works to reduce global poverty and inequality through rigorous research, creative communications and active engagement with the policy community. A nimble, independent, nonpartisan, and nonprofit think tank, CGD’s raft of world-class researchers focus on a range of policy areas that affect development. Our aim is to turn ideas into action to make the world fairer for all.
We are seeking a smart, flexible, multitasker to join the communications team as a paid intern, for a maximum period of six months. This role would suit a college or graduate student or recent graduate with an interest in—and a passion to learn about—international development and non-profit communications. As our intern you will develop a broad suite of communications skills, an understanding of how an effective team works together, as well as the chance to immerse yourself in work at the cutting edge of development economics. Your role includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Supporting the Events Manager in event preparation, logistics, and staffing
- Performing basic data entry and database maintenance, primarily Salesforce
- Working with Media Relations to draft, schedule, and post content to various social media platforms
- Helping track and report on traditional media coverage and social media metrics
- Assisting the communications team with proofing, formatting, and posting publications to the CGD website as needed
- Helping draft and design communications and outreach materials, including print, web, and newsletter content
- Supporting special projects and general administrative needs of communications team
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Interest in international development, public policy, and communications
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility, sense of humor, and ability to work independently in a fast-paced team environment
- Poise, confidence, and outstanding organization and time management skills, with an attention to detail
- Proficiency in written English usage, grammar, and punctuation
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Experience with HTML/CSS, Salesforce, and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop) a plus
This is a paid internship offering a competitive hourly wage. Applicants must be available for 30 hours per week, for up to six months.
Applicants should send a short cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the title "Communications Intern” in all e-mail correspondence. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
CGD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job. Finalists for the position may be subject to a pre-employment background screening.