J Street’s Government Affairs team—named one of DC’s top lobbying operations by The Hill—is seeking an experienced legislative professional and manager to help advance its advocacy strategy. The Director of Government Affairs will perform legislative and policy analysis, support the management of the team and directly lobby a key portfolio of Congressional offices.
The Director of Government Affairs should be a dedicated team player and leader, skilled communicator and highly organized self-starter who thrives on hitting ambitious goals and is excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape the discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, American politics and the American Jewish community.
In consultation with the Vice President of Government Affairs:
● Coordinating the advocacy operations and activities of the Government Affairs team including:
o formulating and guiding execution of strategies and tactics to advance legislative and policy priorities;
o drafting, editing and analyzing legislative language;
o researching and drafting informational materials and statements related to J Street legislative and policy issues;
o speaking in various forums on-the-record on behalf of J Street’s government affairs team;
o ensuring successful execution of briefings, fly-ins, advocacy days and related events on Capitol Hill; and
o ensuring compliance with lobbying disclosure, ethics and related rules.
● Managing and supporting the professional development of the Government Affairs team.
● Directly lobbying a portfolio of Congressional offices by:
o growing new and existing relationships between Members of Congress and J Street through timely, effective and appropriate use of the entire range of the organization’s advocates and assets;
o being voracious in meeting and communicating with Members’ offices;
o persuasively, confidently, clearly and knowledgeably communicating J Street policy views and issue information; and
o maintaining up-to-date awareness and deep knowledge of relevant legislative initiatives and policy developments on our issues.
● Legislative experience at the Legislative Assistant level or above in a US Congressional office;
● Solid writing skills, particularly with respect to the drafting and editing of talking points, memos and policy statements;
● Strong verbal presentation skills, including comfort with public speaking;
● Familiarity with legislative procedure in both chambers of Congress;
● Sound political judgment;
● An understanding of how to grow relationships with Members of Congress and candidates for federal office, and how to identify opportunities for advancing the organization’s agenda;
● Personally engaging style and eagerness to work with Members of Congress, Congressional and campaign staff, and grassroots and grasstops leaders;
● Comfort with current business technology, online communications and data management;
● Willingness to travel once or twice a year, and to put in extended hours around large events such as the national conference; and
● A strong commitment to J Street’s mission.
● Legislative experience at the Legislative Director level or above in a US Congressional office;
● Strong legislative drafting and analysis skills; and
● An understanding how the Israeli-Palestinian conflict plays out in American politics.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Director of Government Affairs" in the subject line.