American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading non-profit organization with more than 1,800 staff members dedicated to our mission of conducting and applying the best behavioral and social science research and evaluation towards improving people’s lives, with a special emphasis on the disadvantaged. The Communications and Public Affairs team, working with AIR’s expertise in assessment, research, evaluation, and technical assistance tells the AIR story to key audiences including funders, policymakers, the media, and AIR staff.
The Editor/Content Lead will play a key role on the Content Team, leading the development of a full suite of products – print, web, and social media – to communicate evidence and promising approaches from AIR’s research and application work. S/he will work closely with expert staff to craft stories, blogs, briefs, and other articles that translate AIR’s research and technical assistance work, ensuring quality control and readability. Reporting to the Director of Communications Operations, the Editor/Content Lead will manage a team of two to three direct reports.
• Working with the Creative Lead and others on the content team, lead the conceptualization and packaging of products including print, web, video, and social media that align with AIR’s mission and goals.
• Work closely with writer/researchers—from concept to finished product—on blog posts, policy briefs, and other articles that communicate evidence and promising approaches from AIR’s research and application work.
• Ensure that each product has an explicit focus, strong structure, and is written in a clear, easily understood, non-academic style, and that all content – including headlines, graphics, and sidebars—meets AIR’s rigorous, multi-tiered quality assurance standards
• Collaborate with teammates in External Relations, Internal and Executive Communications, and Strategic Communications Initiatives to support AIR’s overall communications strategy.
• Work with Project Manager to create and maintain the editorial product pipeline to track the progress of each project from original planning to the final QA and maintain a regular copy flow.
• Serve as lead editor on all outgoing content – including print and web – ensuring content is accurate and engaging and adheres to stylistic standards.
• Monitor current events in education, health workforce, international and related issues to identify opportunities to communicate and leverage AIR’s work.
• Oversee a team of two to three writers and communicators
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or similar liberal arts major; master’s degree preferred
• Minimum 8-10 years in an editorial position; experience in journalism strongly preferred
• Exceptional attention to detail, strong editing and writing skills
• Strong, demonstrated organizational skills with high level of attention to detail.
• Experience managing a team of writers and content creators
• Experience adapting technical information for a lay audience
• Ability to multi-task and juggle priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Some background in statistics and academic writing a plus