Director of Public Policy
NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation's largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
NAMI currently has an opening for a Director of Public Policy. This position will be responsible for providing analysis of federal and state legislation and regulatory activity that impacts people with mental health conditions and their families. The Director will articulate NAMI's key policy positions and advance priorities for mental health coverage, financing, and quality in Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial health plans. The Director will also work to advance policy goals for mental health recovery services and supports.
WHAT'S ATTRACTIVE TO THE RIGHT CANDIDATE:
This is an opportunity for a highly-skilled, motivated and collaborative policy professional to make a difference in the lives of people with mental health conditions. In partnership with a dynamic policy team, your work will help define and advance NAMI's policy priorities and address the injustices faced by people with mental illness and their families.
This position is expected to:
- Lead research and analysis of federal and state legislation and regulations to inform policy positions and priorities, especially Medicaid financing and coverage
- Develop strong relationships and work collaboratively with stakeholders, including leading national partner organizations and federal agencies
- Identify, monitor and analyze relevant policy trends and issues
- Develop effective strategies and tactics in response to time-sensitive policy issues and opportunities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads research and analysis of federal and state legislation and regulations to inform policy positions and priorities, especially Medicaid financing and coverage
- Leads analysis of and makes recommendations on state Medicaid waivers
- Articulates policy positions in briefs, fact sheets, talking points, blogs, op-eds, online, and at internal and external meetings
- Develops strong relationships and works collaboratively with stakeholders, including leading national partner organizations and federal agencies
- Leads strategy for and manages policy initiatives, including alternative payment models for evidence-based mental health interventions, Medicaid and non-Medicaid state funding, mental health coverage, quality measures and parity
- Identifies, monitors and analyzes relevant policy trends and issues
- Develops effective strategies and tactics in response to time-sensitive policy issues and opportunities
- Serves as an expert consultant to media, elected officials and NAMI leaders on mental health policy issues
- Represents NAMI and presents on policy issues at state, regional and national meetings
- Manages budgets for policy initiatives and reports on program deliverables
- Leads and manages direct reports, including facilitating their professional growth and development
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 10+ years' experience preferred, but will consider less if experienced in mental health financing, coverage, and/or quality
- Advanced degree required or bachelor's degree and equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Supervisory experience
- Ability to both plan for and respond strategically to threats and opportunities
- Facility with translating complex issues into lay language
- Knowledge of mental health policy and financing
- Knowledge of key federal agencies, especially CMS, SAMHSA, and the NIMH
- Expertise with federal legislative and regulatory processes
- Familiarity with national mental health advocacy groups
This position is based in Arlington, VA.
Must pass background check.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V