The Sierra Club PA Chapter is hiring a Legislative and Political Director to plan, organize, and implement the state and local legislative priorities and political programs of the Chapter. In cooperation with the Chapter Director and volunteer leadership, the Legislative and Political Director also recruits and organizes volunteer efforts, evaluates legislation, maintains government and political contacts, and makes strategic advocacy recommendations.
1. Plans, coordinates and implements the Chapter's legislative strategies as approved by the chapter leadership. Lobbies and represents the Chapter to elected officials when appropriate.
2. Monitors, studies and researches proposed legislation to determine possible effects to the environment and makes appropriate recommendations.
3. Confers with legislators and officials to emphasize weakness or merits of specific bills to influence passage, defeat, or amendment of the measure, or the introduction of legislation more favorable to the public interest.
4. Prepares and presents testimony at appropriate legislative hearings.
5. Contacts and meets with other individuals and groups having similar positions in order to rally support for bills, initiatives, laws, etc.
6. Plans and coordinates meetings between Sierra Club members and elected officials to discuss legislative issues and proposals and allow for officials to address member concerns.
7. Prepares press releases and communicates with the media to state the Sierra Club’s view on specific legislation.
8. Participates in the development of educational/ informational materials in regards to the Club's legislative efforts.
9. Assists in the formulation of grassroots campaign and coalition activities in support of legislation at the local and state level.
10. Trains, informs, and motivates volunteers and other chapter staff to enable them to activate others in efforts to influence legislative and regulatory decisions.
12. Monitors, and records voting patterns of elected officials regarding environmental legislation. Informs and educates the public as to the position taken by elected officials.
13. Works on task forces, committees, etc. representing the Club's mission or objective.
14. Ensures compliance with all state and federal campaign requirements.
15. Works with Sierra Club staff and volunteers to ensure there is a consistent, clear legislative message that is being communicated to the public.
16. Coordinates with Sierra Club PA Chapter volunteer Political Team to implement candidate endorsement process and political strategy.
17. Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
-- B.A./B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.
-- Minimum 1-2 years experience in the environmental field or government relations field that includes working within the political process, press relations and public speaking.
-- Prior experience and effectiveness in lobbying.
-- Skill in developing a positive rapport with the media.
-- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
-- Clear understanding and knowledge of the legislative process.
-- Skill in making presentations to a diverse audience.
-- Strong analytical skills.
-- Understanding of Pennsylvania’s political landscape.
-- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
Please send a resume and brief statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.