Government and Regulatory Affairs Manager
Apex is seeking a Government and Regulatory Affairs Manager, Eastern region to help manage Apex’s government and regulatory affairs in North Carolina, Virginia, New York, and West Virginia. Additional states may be added in the future. Responsibilities include building and managing state government affairs strategies, tracking relevant policy developments, engaging in policy and political discussions, managing contract lobbyists, tracking and engaging with state Public Utility Commissions on relevant dockets, and representing Apex in various local or regional organizations and/or coalitions, including NCSEA, NCCEBA, Southeast Wind Coalition, ACENY, MAREC, and RENEW.
- Managing state-level government affairs, including tracking legislative activity, building relationships with key legislators, assisting with political analysis of state government, managing contract lobbyists (where applicable).
- Messaging, including developing state-level messaging and positioning statements, especially when crisis communications are necessary, and ensuring consistency with other Apex regions.
- Managing state and regional strategic partnerships and coalitions, including identifying new strategic partnerships, managing participation in current strategic partnerships, and proactively identifying ways to utilize strategic partnerships to achieve government affairs goals.
- Tracking activity at state Public Utility Commissions, and coordinating efforts to intervene where appropriate. Building relationships with PUC officials.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in political science, public relations, communications, or a related field
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working in policy, communications, or state or federal government
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and familiarity with legislative tracking systems
- Demonstrated leadership and relationship management skills in managing third-party consultants, lobbyists, coalition members, and the public
- Ability to lead collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Professional appearance and manner
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work proactively and productively with limited supervision
- Willing and able to travel on a regular basis (20-50%)
- Must live and work in in Eastern region, ideally in a focus state as listed above.