The National Head Start Association is seeking a Communications Associate to join the public affairs team in its Alexandria, VA, office. The Communications Associate is supervised by and reports to the Director of Public Affairs but will work closely with the marketing team and in coordination with all team members as necessary. This is not an entry-level position, but a great learning opportunity for someone looking to gain experience in the advocacy communications field.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Draft news releases, media pitches, and responses to media inquiries, including on-the-record quotes.
- Draft internal messaging materials, including talking points and issue summaries.
- Draft external communications such as newsletters, op-eds and updates to the field.
- Produce a daily news compendium highlighting the work of NHSA, successes in the Head Start field, and trends in the early childhood education arena.
- Build and maintain press lists. Conduct analysis of media coverage to determine reach and opportunities for growth.
- Contribute to creative brainstorming sessions to develop new ideas for content development and digital/social engagement.
- Provide project management support on major grant-funded communications initiatives.
- Support NHSA conferences and events as needed.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Passion for Head Start’s commitment to ensuring every vulnerable child has the opportunity to succeed.
- 2+ years of experience in advocacy campaigns, media relations and strategic communications.
- Strong persuasive writing skills. Must be able to write clearly, concisely and creatively.
- Expertise in pulling information together from multiple sources into one cohesive message.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and proactively while being a dependable team player.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel as well as with social media applications.
- A strong instinct for newsworthiness and emerging media trends.
- Great interpersonal skills and humor under pressure.
- Good judgment, flexibility, and problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
These are a plus, but not required:
- Spanish-writing proficiency.
- Skills in video editing software and photography.
- Experience working on grant-funded projects.
- Knowledge of best practices in PowerPoint presentation and design.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and salary history in one PDF document to email@example.com with Communications Associate in the subject line.
NHSA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.