WAMU is seeking a Staff Writer to compose daily news stories and features for the online local news source, DCist. This position is responsible for conceiving and pitching creative story ideas, reporting articles on a short turnaround, and crafting stories into compelling and sharable content covering issues of importance to the DC region. The ideal candidate is a highly capable writer with an appealing and distinctive editorial style, as well as an instinctive sense of which stories are of most importance and interest to the DCist readership.
- The Staff Writer reports to the Editor-in-Chief of DCist, and is part of the Content division at WAMU
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Degree in journalism, digital media, or a related field.
- 3+ years' writing compelling editorial content in a fast-paced news environment
- Superb writing skills, with the proven ability to write conversationally and with a distinctive editorial style
- Experience executing social media strategy and engaging online audiences around news content
- Impeccable news judgment and a demonstrated understanding of the importance of accuracy and ethics in journalism
- Knowledge of and a commitment to the mission of local journalism and public media
- A high degree of creativity and initiative
- A spirit of collaboration and a desire to experiment and innovate
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check