Digital Communications Internship
The American Horticultural Society, a national nonprofit membership organization located in Alexandria, Virginia, is offering a six-month digital communications internship. The intern will join the Communications team, which is responsible for coordinating all of the American Horticultural Society’s communications, marketing, and outreach efforts through a variety of media--including a bimonthly magazine, website, e-newsletters, and social media--with the twin goals of promoting the benefits of gardening to a national audience and serving the needs of the Society's members.
The intern will support digital communications with tasks such as contributing timely posts to social media, creating content for monthly e-newsletters, updating online calendars, tracking online engagement, and assisting with the creation of monthly podcasts. Additionally, the intern will work closely with staff to develop a special project that will build upon his or her interests.
- Native-level English proficiency
- Some academic background or personal interest in plants/horticulture
- Currently enrolled in or recently completed university or changing career tracks and looking for experience in digital media and communications
- Strong written and oral communication skills with excellent grammar
- Self-motivated, organized, comfortable working independently, and deadline-driven
- Experience with posting on social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, for a business or organization
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Office and generally technologically savvy
- Experience with photo editing software a strong plus
- Located in the DC metro area (or willing to relocate for the duration of the internship)
Applications for the digital communications internship should include the following:
- cover letter stating desired start and end dates
- two writing samples (links to online work accepted)
- three references (including names, daytime phone numbers, and person’s title or relationship to you)
Send all materials to Viveka Neveln at email@example.com. No phone calls please.