Writer & Editor
The AIA Communications team is the brainpower behind AIA’s core function of telling the Aerospace and Defense Industry story and sharing the work we do every day to keep the country safe, drive the American economy, create jobs, and inspire people to dream. We are looking for someone with exceptional writing and editing skills to serve an essential role in our advocacy efforts. This position is the primary speechwriter for AIA’s President and CEO, and responsible for developing a wide range of communications materials, including blog posts, Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, White Papers, reports, and other high-visibility communications. This role also plays a key role in developing the organization’s overall messaging.
AIA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status. Consistent with our AIA’s commitment to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better organization and better results. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position reports to the Vice President of Communications and works directly with the President and CEO.
- Researches and writes speeches for the President in support of the association’s advocacy and outreach to external and internal audiences including member companies, media, government officials, and other stakeholders.
- Is the association’s editorial expert, responsible for editing a wide variety of public policy documents, as well as some communications to member companies.
- Writes persuasively and creatively, distills complex technical and policy statements into easy-to-understand statements.
- Prepares blogs and other digital content, opinion pieces, and a range of AIA publications, including white papers and reports.
- Works with AIA’s Research Department to edit, design and produce substantive reports.
- On occasion, as needed, provides support for other functions in the office including but not limited to media relations, special events and meetings.
- Attends local presentations and may be required to travel nationally and internationally to attend the President’s speeches and public events.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience as a writer.
- Ability to execute work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment is a must.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously is a must.
- Experience as an Executive Branch of Capitol Hill speechwriter or as a journalist preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate the vision, programs and value of AIA to various audiences.
- Proficient in applicable technology programs and applications.
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly collaborative environment while developing and maintaining positive work relationships.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent work experience required.
To Apply, please send the following documents to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
- Three writing samples
- Three (3) References [Name, Title, Contact information]
AIA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status.