SMYAL (Supporting and Mentoring Youth Advocates and Leaders) supports and empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth in the Washington, DC, metropolitan region.
The Communications Coordinator position is located in Washington, D.C.’s Eastern Market neighborhood. This position will report to the Development Director. The hours of this position are 40+ per week.
- Manages all communications efforts to donors, supporters, youth, community members, and media at large.
- Oversees creation and dissemination of SMYAL print and electronic marketing materials, including brochures, special publications, promotional items, and newsletters. This will include writing copy for emails and mailed pieces to various constituents.
- Maintains organization’s social media accounts to market SMYAL programs and events, raise awareness of SMYAL’s mission, and engage the community. Identify new and innovative ways to enhance and expand SMYAL’s social media presence and outreach to various constituencies.
- Manage relationships with outside public relations consultants as well as identify strategies to engage with local media outlets, public relations professionals, reporters, and social media influencers.
- Serve as the organization’s website manager and make sure content is always accurate and up to date.
- Manages organization’s use of video and photography to enhance our brand and public image. Produce videos internally and coordinate with outside consultants on video projects, as needed, for social media, events, and other purposes.
- Coordinates cross departmental collaboration on communications efforts to include hosting weekly communications meetings and collecting programmatic and development updates to communicate externally.
- Manages communications activities at events to include photography coordination, media coordination, speaker support, and other communications needs.
- Educates staff members and volunteers on SMYAL’s branding and messaging.
- Provide communications support to other departments, as needed.
- Represent and be able to publicly speak about SMYAL’s work at events, workshops, conferences, and other arenas. Coordinate with programs staff members to speak about programmatic work when possible and providing talking points/coaching, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Development Director or Executive Director
- High school diploma required; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2-3 years of communications experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- Ability to work with efficiency and flexibility.
- Professional demeanor; ability to gracefully manage stressful situations, handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, function effectively with some degree of autonomy, and fearlessly.
- Must be detail-driven, goal oriented, energetic, and demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office applications, social media platforms, and Word Press preferred.
- Experience with graphic design and/or video production is a plus.
- Superior written/oral communication, editing, and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Must be sensitive to issues of diversity, including sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Also a plus is a demonstrated passion for LGBTQ youth empowerment and a commitment to social change.
- Must complete local and federal background checks.
- Upon interview request, applicants will be asked to provide at least one newsletter (or comparable professional document), one professional presentation, professional social media campaign examples, and professional references.
LGBTQ individuals, women, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Resumes and cover letter must be in Adobe Acrobat (*.pdf) or Microsoft Word (*.doc) format. No phone calls, please.
This position will be filled as soon a terrific candidate is found.