The United States Institute of Peace is a non-partisan federal institute chartered by Congress to prevent and resolve violent conflict. We work with partners in the world’s most challenging areas to provide resources, training and tools. Located on the National Mall, USIP represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world.
The communications assistant supports the day-to-day operations of a busy 10-person Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) team and manages the director’s calendar, files and special projects. In addition to administrative duties, s/he implements the daily operations of USIP’s social media sites and helps maintain USIP’s main website. The communications assistant reports to the deputy director of communications.
TARGET SALARY RANGE:
Grade 7: $45,972 - $47,504
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Offers of employment are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity and amount budgeted for the position.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as primary contact for and responds to questions regarding general PAC policies and procedures.
- Develop, edit, and update PAC informational items for internal USIP staff members and external guests.
- Compile regular reports on PAC activities, acts as note taker where appropriate.
- Maintain the PAC Team calendar including daily and weekly meeting schedules.
- Manage PAC Director’s calendar and organizes Director’s files and special project notebooks. Prepares materials for meetings.
- Monitor and update articles, events, pages, and publications on the Institute’s primary website.
- Assist with maintaining thorough and robust contact lists.
- Schedule and work with staff to organize workshops, trainings, meetings and activities. Coordinates with Conferences, Meetings & Events team to establish venues, select food and supplies, and determine room set-up.
- Order office supplies.
- Provide support to high level events as appropriate.
- Conduct general research as needed.
- Implement the daily operations of USIP’s social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Ensures that USIP content is cross-promoted on USIP social media sites and that USIP’s social media sites are closely coordinated with USIP priorities and the USIP website.
- Advise on and implement social media strategy and enforce USIP’s social media policy.
- Monitor and regularly report on performance statistics from USIP’s social media sites.
- Produce and/or coordinate the production of social media events for USIP, including Facebook Live, Twitter chats and live-tweeting USIP events, expert testimony, events featuring USIP staff, etc.
- Monitor user-generated content posted to USIP’s social media sites and respond as necessary.
Performs Other Duties as Assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of 1 year of related experience is required.
- Strong skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Word, MS Outlook, and MS PowerPoint, is a must.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Quickbase a plus.
- Excellent writing skills and command of the English language are required.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.