The National Coalition for Homeless Veterans (NCHV) is the resource and technical assistance center for a national network of community-based service providers and local, state and federal agencies that provide emergency and supportive services to homeless and at-risk veterans. As the only national organization dedicated exclusively to ending homelessness among veterans, NCHV is recognized as a major authority on policies and programs with far-reaching impacts on the veteran community.
NCHV is seeking a dynamic, full time Communications Associate to continue to evolve our communications efforts. This hard working, energetic individual will manage publication development, strategic media outreach, and donor communications to show the full and evolving picture of NCHV’s work to make veteran homelessness rare, brief, and nonrecurring. Successful candidates would be excellent writers, have the skills to convey information through writing, graphics, and visual storytelling, and know how to turn complex ideas into impactful and concise narratives. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
The Communications Associate will be responsible for the following essential activities:
• Managing graphic design and production of print media materials including bimonthly newsletter, products related to annual conference, and other grant deliverables as needed;
• Writing original articles for the NCHV print newsletter and e-newsletter;
• Managing e-newsletter production and distribution, to include annual list maintenance;
• Fielding media inquiries and enhancing the organization’s relationships with press outlets;
• Managing annual awards ceremony and exhibitors at annual conference;
• Assisting with thought leadership;
• Maintaining and improving communications infrastructure (e.g. websites, CRM and list management);
• Finalizing the end of a website refresh process and launching its final product;
• Executing an organizational rebranding and messaging campaign in partnership with an external contractor;
• Supporting NCHV operations by providing excellent customer service to homeless, veterans, grantees, federal staff and other partners;
• Representing the organization at local homeless veteran events; and
• Managing social media content and campaigns
Desired Skills and Experience Include:
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including copywriting and proofreading
• An eye for clean, uncluttered graphic design
• Ability to take ownership of routine tasks and special projects as assigned
• Ability to work on independent projects and collaborate with team members
• Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to manage time effectively
• Familiarity with homeless services, veteran programs, and military service preferred
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 3-5 years relevant experience preferred
Compensation and Location:
This position is based in Washington, DC. NCHV offers health and life insurance, holidays, a retirement plan, and a collegial office environment. Salary range: $40,000 - $55,000, commensurate with experience.
Email a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample that is no longer than two pages to email@example.com with "Communications Associate" in the subject line. Applications received without these materials WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.