Government Affairs Intern
Wolf Trap internships and apprenticeships give budding professionals a competitive edge - whether they seek jobs in the arts or any other field.
Employers are looking for college graduates who can hit the ground running - those who don’t need training in basic workplace skills, like inter-office communications and coordinating multiple projects.
Wolf Trap internships and apprenticeships provide these fundamental skills, as well as specialized training in specific disciplines - from technical theatre and arts management to fundraising, accounting, and special events.
Interns and apprentices get a nuanced view of a field that is rapidly changing and what it takes to evolve and innovate. This experience helps interns and apprentices build leadership skills that can be applied to the performing arts or any line of work they choose to pursue.
And last but certainly not least, Wolf Trap internships and apprenticeships offer young professionals an opportunity to contribute to arts and education programs that enrich thousands of lives each year.
Working within the Government Affairs Department, you will help facilitate planning, special initiatives, and Board relations and operations of the Wolf Trap Foundation with respect to government relations, including coordinating activities of staff and outside partners on government relations projects.
- Prepare for and observe: staff planning sessions, meetings with arts and community partners and elected officials and government staff, and Board meetings.
- Accompany Senior Director, Government Affairs to meetings with policymakers and their staffs as well as advocacy coalition activities.
- Invite government and community leaders to special events.
- Assist with cultivation and stewardship events with government officials.
- Learn about the structure and function of a Board of Directors and its Government Relations Committee, including the role that government advocacy plays in a nonprofit organization.
- Assist with coordination of all Wolf Trap Foundation intern visits to Hill.
- Maintain project records; learn Raiser’s Edge fundraising software to track government officials.
- Assist with promotion of initiatives through writing and public interface.
- Conduct research to inform new initiatives.