Communications and Outreach Internship
The World Cocoa Foundation (WCF) is a non-profit international membership organization whose vision is a sustainable and thriving cocoa sector – where farmers prosper, cocoa-growing communities are empowered, human rights are respected, and the environment is conserved. WCF’s mission is to catalyze public-private action to accelerate cocoa sustainability. We champion multi-stakeholder partnerships, aligned public and private investment, policy dialogue, and joint learning and knowledge sharing to achieve transformative change in the cocoa supply chain.
Among WCF’s 100+ members are farm-level input providers, financial institutions, cocoa processors, chocolate makers and manufacturers, farmer cooperatives, cocoa trading companies, ports, warehousing companies, and retailers. WCF members operate from six continents, representing 80 percent of the global cocoa and chocolate market, and provide a uniquely informed perspective on the interconnected nature and needs of the cocoa industry. For more information, visit www.worldcocoafoundation.org.
WCF seeks a communications and outreach intern for the 2020 winter/spring term – with potential extension through the summer – interested in developing their communications, marketing, event management, writing, editing, social media, video-editing, and research skills. Strong attention to detail, interest in non-profit communications, and a focus on sustainability or international development would greatly benefit this intern as they conduct research tasks and projects, support communications efforts, and assist in day-to-day membership activities.
The internship is based in WCF’s Washington, D.C. office and is intended to further the intern’s educational goals in communications and sustainability. The internship is paid at the DC minimum wage. WCF expects that to reach the internship’s objectives between 16 and 20 hours per week will be needed between January and May 2020, with potential extension through August 2020. The precise internship start/end dates and weekly schedule will be determined based on the intern’s schedule and availability. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Note: Interns are responsible for arranging their own accommodation in the Washington area, if applicable, all work-related transportation, as well as other personal needs.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student;
- Background in communications, event management, public relations, social media, sustainability, international development, or related field;
- Students with an international background, notably Spanish and/or French speakers, are encouraged to apply;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong research and analytical abilities;
- Detail oriented;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Positive, can-do attitude;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Preferred skills and experience: Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, MailChimp, Canva, Salesforce, and/or video-editing software.
Internship Tasks (may vary seasonally):
- Draft social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn (text and graphics).
- Input web content and help maintain and update WCF’s website (WordPress).
- Assist with the preparation of the 2020 WCF Partnership Meeting in Bogotá, Colombia.
- Provide writing, copy-editing, and graphic design support for blog posts, press releases, newsletters, reports, and organizational correspondence.
- Create videos from photos or video footage.
- Research prospective member companies and make updates to current member company records.
- Track media coverage and create media lists.
- Update Salesforce database and Excel with contact information.
- Provide overall logistical and administrative support to the WCF communications team as needed.