Manager, Government Affairs
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions.
Provide leadership and strategic vision to achieve legislative objectives that advance EDF’s advocacy goals across program areas. Specific legislative objectives include: preserve clean air rules; advance clean energy policies; lay the groundwork for bipartisan climate legislation; and block congressional efforts to weaken core environmental protections.
- Serve as an EDF lobbyist and build a strong network of relationships directly with members of Congress, as well as high-level personal office staff and key committee and leadership staff, with an emphasis on members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
- Develop and implement strategies and plans tailored for member offices on climate related issues, such as infrastructure, public health and resilience, as well as comprehensive climate policy.
- Organize Hill briefings and events, including identifying and securing opportunities for EDF engagement.
- Coordinate across multiple environmental and energy programs to ensure Hill engagements are well coordinated and to build EDF’s brand and political influence with lawmakers.
- Collaborate effectively with EDF’s legal and regulatory team and external coalitions to advance a pro-environment agenda and block Congressional and executive branch attacks on our nation’s bedrock environmental laws.
- Work closely with strategic partners and communications to help shape our policy-related communications and messaging strategies.
- Collaborate with external organizations, including other NGOs at the federal and state level and third-party validators to advance EDF’s legislative goals. Collaborate with partner organizations and manage consultants.
- Assist with fundraising efforts, including writing high quality proposals and reports.
- 5+ years of Capitol Hill lobbying or related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, both written and oral.
- Knowledge of climate policy a plus.
- Familiarity with the NGO community and experience working with coalitions.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.