George Mason University is seeking candidates for a Communications Director for the Arlington Innovation District. The university is looking for an experienced communicator who can create awareness and increase knowledge about the project, serving as the point person for strategic communications and storytelling.
The position will be responsible for developing articles, press releases, publications, website content, social media and marketing materials. This person would also be responsible for media outreach, managing promotion and marketing of events related to this project, and providing communication support for fundraising, government relations and external aspects of the project.
The position will report to the Associate Vice President for Communications and be a member of the Arlington Innovation District project team. She/he will be responsible for executing and updating the communications plan for the district, developing short-term and long-term strategies to build awareness of Mason’s impact as a leader in the Commonwealth’s digital innovation economy. The best candidate is both a strategic thinker and an action-oriented player who can help set goals for the team, implement tactics, manage timelines and workflow, and supervise a number of communication priorities. The Director will work collaboratively across academic and administrative units to deliver quality content that reflects the project’s mission and aligns with the university’s values and its strategic goals.
The Arlington Innovation District, to be located in the vibrant Ballston-Rosslyn corridor, is expected to produce thousands of career-ready graduates in high-demand tech majors each year and serve as an engine of research development, economic growth and job creation for the region and state.
- Oversee and update a strategic communications plan for the project build and launch, including metrics that show success;
- Engage students, faculty, alumni, and university partners to find stories that bring attention to the university and show its role as a leader in the digital economy;
- Work with the project team and college communicators to show the multidisciplinary aspects of the innovation district and how that adds to Mason’s tech talent initiative;
- Manage the development of web content, press releases, social media posts, scripts and other multi-media content that tell the story of the project and Mason’s tech talent pipeline, Mason’s research that drives innovation in the digital economy, and Mason’s partnerships in the district;
- Lead efforts to increase placement of stories and university experts in local and national media;
- Manage marketing materials and promotional plans for events, including the Arlington Forward speaker series;
- Manage vendors or consultants, as needed.
- A master’s degree and considerable experience in public relations, communications, marketing or a related field;
- Experience developing and executing communication plans;
- Experience overseeing multimedia projects, including social media engagement;
- Experience pitching stories to national media and developing relationships with reporters;
- Experience leveraging social and traditional media platforms for maximum local and national exposure;
- Experience using strategies to drive website traffic;
- Exceptional writing and communication skills;
- Experience using data to measure success;
- Ability to work well with others;
- Able to juggle multiple projects, manage deadlines and make adjustments as needed.
Closing Date: 2/19/2020