Position Summary: Under the supervision of the chief publications editor, the managing editor of the healthcare journal will identify important topics related to individuals' and communities' health and well-being, including professional development, effectively and efficiently serving patients, and organizational improvement. The managing editor will commission and edit articles primarily for the healthcare journal and also, occasionally, for other AFT publications. The managing editor will select content that promotes member voice, strengthens the healthcare profession and highlights the work of AFT members-ultimately showing the value of belonging to the union.
- Stay abreast of research and ideas related to health and well-being; related policy issues such as redlining, lead poisoning, and asthma; and equity-focused initiatives including supports such as community schools/colleges that address overall healthcare and social services.
- Read many books and excerpt the few exceptional books.
- Understand the needs and priorities of AFT leadership and members, and develop articles to help them better serve patients, families and communities.
- Seek authors who can explain important bodies of research and persuasively present ideas.
- Edit drafts as needed (ranging from brief comments and questions to extensive rewriting), taking peer reviewers' comments (as digested by the chief publications editor) into consideration.
- Collaborate with other journals' editors, seeking to develop cross-profession connections.
- Work closely with the production and digital staff in the communications department.
- Work closely with the healthcare division staff.
- Knowledge of research on healthcare and well-being that is needed to edit research-based articles.
- Knowledge of healthcare policy and history, especially past and present debates, reform movements and ideologies.
- In-depth knowledge of the peer-review process and ability to manage peer reviewers.
- In-depth knowledge of the AFT’s current priorities and its history.
- Experience working in a union or non-profit association is a plus.
- Familiarity with AFT’s structure and the issues facing affiliates and their members is highly desirable.
- Ability to manage a small editing and design team and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Knowledge of print and online publications.
- 6+ years’ experience in similar position.
- Advanced degree required; doctoral degree preferred.
- Ability to oversee and assist with copyediting.