Manager of Development Services
Silver Spring MD
The American Hiking Society is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Manager of Development Services. The Manager of Development Services provides administrative support to the development and membership functions of the organization. This position works within all fundraising activities including corporate brand relations, individual donor and member relations, database management, direct mail, email marketing, and research. The Manager of Development Services is the key person responsible for maintaining the integrity of the customer relationship management (CRM) (currently CiviCRM) database and its effective use. This position has responsibility for preliminary prospect research that qualifies prospective corporate brand partners for further cultivation and stewardship. The Manager of Development Services is also responsible for the implementation of the donor stewardship plan, as well as for volunteer recruitment, scheduling, and supervision.
The Manager of Development Services reports to the Senior Director for Development.
- Work closely with American Hiking Society’s corporate brand partners to form long-term relationships and coordinate the execution of social media and advertising deliverables within annual agreements.
- Support the development and management of American Hiking Society’s membership program. This includes membership renewal mailings, membership data entry and reporting, and work alongside the AHS marketing team to coordinate membership marketing and communications.
- Manage American Hiking’s fundraising digital marketing. This includes developing marketing strategies and content curation for fundraising-related email marketing.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgment letters, membership premiums, and other related correspondence.
- Maintain digital files for corporations, membership, individual donors, and foundations.
- Continually enter, update, and reconcile database records in CRM.
- Monitor and update automated communications to contributors.
- Prepare and analyze donor reports as needed.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation, and individual donors.
- Assist AHS senior director in the management of the Board Development Committee.
- Coordinate the production and mailing of annual appeal letters.
- Assist in the preparation of grant proposals.
- Track philanthropic contributions, pledges, and Board gifts.
- Respond to member and advertising inquiries.
- Prepare and mail gift and membership premiums and program related materials.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Nonprofit Management, Communications, Marketing, or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience in an administrative position, preferably in a non-profit development office
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Database management experience preferred
- Tremendous attention to detail
- Proficiency in social media content development for business or nonprofit
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and written
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Customer service mindset
- Familiarity with WordPress and basic photo editing programs
- Basic graphic design skills helpful but not required
Benefits include full health coverage, generous vacation leave within the first year of hire, and discounts on outdoor gear.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to Heather Klein Olson, Senior Director for Development at email@example.com with “Manager of Development Services” and your first and last name in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer.