Senior Director of Strategic Communications
The Senior Director of Strategic Communications will build and execute communications strategies to drive the strategic direction and internal/external engagement of The Arc. The Senior Director of Strategic Communications will establish and execute communications objectives that directly support the business strategies; leading a multichannel communications program from concept to completion. This position will collaborate with and provide hands on communications support to key leaders and subject matter experts across the organization. In partnership with the President & CEO, the Senior Director of Strategic Communications will act as The Arc’s official spokesperson. The Senior Director of Strategic Communications is a member of the Leadership Council and Executive Leadership Team.
- Develop and execute integrated communications strategies that span internal and external audiences to foster alignment and proactively shape stakeholder perceptions.
- Through collaboration, create, and execute all communication and marketing strategies; Implement tactical plans that meet and exceed organizational expectations.
- Reach and influence target audiences by developing and delivering on messaging, creative storytelling, channel strategies, media, and stakeholder engagement plans.
- Collaborate with teams and subject matter experts to identify opportunities and map the path forward for key cross-functional initiatives; Partner with the President & CEO and the Executive Leadership Team, to align the strategy and messaging.
- Develop turnkey tools and resources that foster alignment and coordination of messages across The Arc; Transform complex data into a simple, visual story to develop clear messages and ultimately influence decision makers.
- Facilitate and participate in writing and editing of news releases, publications, brochures, reports, correspondence, ads, speeches, presentations, and other documents; Support the Director of Development & Communications in all donor and development related communications.
- Support and provide overall communications direction to the Director of Engagement and other outreach units across The Arc.
- Partner closely with the Executive Leadership Team and key leaders throughout The Arc to ensure the integrity of one voice for The Arc is maintained.
- Prepare and submit an annual, integrated External Relations budget to the President & CEO and the CFO for review and approval; Manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Manage and coach assigned External Relations staff and consultants.
- Keep up to date on current communications trends in the disability and nonprofit fields through professional development and community/civic involvement.
- Support and collaborate with key leaders and the Director of Strategy on public policy and advocacy efforts.
- Assist in engagement activities and organizational events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, marketing or related field required; Master’s degree is a plus
- Seven years of communication and organizational writing experience required; Deep knowledge in communications; specifically, messaging, social media and marketing strategies
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills; able to easily distill messages into believable, actionable content
- Deep communications expertise that and spans both external (stakeholder, influencer, stakeholder) and internal disciplines
- Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications to drive that strategy
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build trust and influence with leaders and collaborators at all levels
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher), WordPress, social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter); knowledge of CRM databases preferred
A Bachelor's degree in English, communications, marketing or a related field, with seven years of communication and organizational writing experience is required.
Candidates for this position must submit a resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples for which they are the primary author. The preferred format for these files is PDF.
The deadline for priority consideration for this position is 8:00AM, Monday, January 18th.