Media Relations Associate
The American Enterprise Institute (AEI) is seeking a media relations associate to promote AEI scholars and their work in the fields of politics, social, cultural and constitutional studies; education; and selected domestic policy issues.
The media relations associate reports to the director of media relations. Duties include:
- Promoting AEI’s scholars and their work to targeted media in the following fields: politics, social, cultural and constitutional studies, education, and selected domestic policy issues.
- Integrating the aforementioned AEI scholars and their work into the national conversation.
- Building strong working relationships with these AEI scholars as well as with selected media.
- Serving as the primary point of contact for political, cultural, legal, education, and selected domestic policy media requests
- Arranging media briefings for these scholars.
- Drafting pitches and releases.
- Distilling complex policy issues into shorter formats.
- Promoting and facilitating media coverage of conferences and events.
- Tracking metrics.
- Working with the communications team on special projects.
This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to translate complex policy material into clear and straightforward prose. Candidates must have a keen interest in policy and must possess the ability to handle multiple tasks in a frequently busy and demanding environment. Experience with deadlines and related work experience is preferred. Strong applicants will have existing contacts among print and online journalists and reporters, producers, and editors from national news bureaus, including TV and radio networks and cable news. The ideal candidate must also have the ability to think strategically and plan comprehensive media outreach. A bachelor’s degree in political science, history, or English is preferred.