Public Relations and Social Media Specialist
Since 1941, the USO has been the nation’s leading organization to serve the men and women in the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform. From the moment they join, through their assignments and deployments, and as they transition back to their communities, the USO is always by their side.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Public Relations and Social Media Specialist is responsible for supporting multiple facets of the USO’s integrated PR and digital strategy to build awareness of the organization, increase engagement and loyalty with supporters, improve utilization by service members and their families, grow audiences and generate donations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Under the direction of the Communications and Social Media Manager, generate, edit, publish and monitor digital content to build meaningful engagement with key audiences. Contribute to the development and execution of a Digital First strategy and deploy tactics to maximize traffic to USO digital properties of varying size and scope.*
- Provide social media guidance and assistance to the USO’s operations and programs teams, with a specific focus on providing content for and updating the official USO LinkedIn page.
- Assist the communications and social media team in designing content for all social media channels.
- Create content calendars, build and optimize company pages and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification.*
- Support the Director of Public Relations by helping to manage reputation, identify and grow key audiences and execute PR campaigns. *
- Utilize the reach of partners, supporters and other influencer channels to tell the USO story and meet USO public relations and business goals.*
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, benchmarking, messaging and audience identification.*
- Adhere to the USO’s digital/social media crisis management plan and support digital projects as directed including but not limited to audience and market research efforts, digital analytics monitoring and dashboard updates.*
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or related field.
- 1-3 years work experience in a web marketing or communications support role. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Experience working with social media platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Skilled in using Adobe Creative software to design social media graphics.
- General knowledge of web publishing technologies, digital marketing tools, online media applications, user experience best practices, website analytics platforms and social media channels and interest communities.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. General knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must show initiative, self-motivation, and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities. Ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment. Willingness and ability to work non-standard hours as needed.
- Ability to perform basic math and follow proper cash/donation handling and reporting procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location. Relocation assistance or remote working arrangements may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.