DCCC Regional Press Secretaries work closely with the full communications department to drive national messaging priorities at the local level and act as the on-the-record spokesperson for House Democrats’ campaign arm in targeted districts’ local media markets.
DCCC Regional Press Secretaries are responsible for managing proactive and reactive press outreach with local and regional media in their targeted regions, as well as advancing the work and strategic viewpoint of the DCCC. In this role, Regional Press Secretaries work with the DCCC Deputy National Press Secretaries – who manage constituency outreach – and with their regional pod structures to support individual candidates and campaign teams as they develop and implement aggressive, individualized earned media strategies. Lastly, Regional Press Secretaries are responsible for helping campaign teams establish best practices for campaign and rapid response communication.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Serving as the main point of contact for all communications-related inquiries from Congressional campaigns in a specific region of the country;
• Developing relationships with local media in a large number of targeted congressional districts and serving as on-the-record spokesperson for House Democrats’ campaign arm;
• Working directly with regional pods, including Research and Political regionals, on message strategy and proactive press hits on GOP opponents, rapid response to Republican attacks, and supporting campaigns’ various communications needs;
• Writing press releases and talking points, conducting interview preparation with candidates;
• Working with individual candidates and campaigns to develop and implement aggressive, individualized earned media strategies;
• Training and mentoring campaign staff on how to run and maintain an effective campaign communications operation;
• Helping with campaign launches and in-the-district events, requiring moderate travel;
• Other duties as needed.
• One to two cycles of campaign, official, or advocacy communication experience, including significant on-the-record experience;
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
• Self-motivation, the ability to work independently, as well as a strong commitment to teamwork;
• Organizational skills and ability to meet strict deadlines a must;
• Passionate about making sure Democrats across the House battlefield have the tools, resources, and support they need to run effective campaigns;
• Ability to demonstrate multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant and productive ways;
• Personal and professional commitment to promoting and investing in cross-cultural skills and awareness related to individuals from broad backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability;
• Ability to work with leaders, staff, and members at all levels of organizations.
Salary: $70,000/per year