Social Media Strategist
Washington, DC or Oakland, CA
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster loom large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities. Greenpeace is headquartered in the Netherlands, with offices all around the world in over fifty countries.
As the Social Media Strategist you would be on the frontlines of our online engagement strategy, using social media platforms to reach and mobilize our supporters to take action.
The Social Media Strategist will combine data driven thinking, a sharp eye for content, and community impulse to track trends and conversations, react to seize opportunities, and build ongoing engagement with our social media channels.
This is a results oriented position reporting to the Senior Digital Campaigns Manager. The Social Media Strategist will develop our social content strategy and reporting, develop evergreen and hard hitting campaign content, and manage/assist team mates to maintain healthy online communities across all of Greenpeace USA’s social media channels.
This role will be based in Washington, DC or Oakland, CA
This role will:
- Own a data-driven social media content strategy to increase our organization’s reach and regular engagement with our followers. This includes regular testing, reporting, and iteration for constant improvement.
- Bottom-line the social media calendar and coordination for a large team of digital content producers.
- Task manage social media content producers and community managers.
- Reporting on content performance and community health. Providing understandable, actionable insights for teams with varying degrees of digital experience.
- Design and create engaging content for Greenpeace’s social media channels and website. The Social Media Strategist will ensure Greenpeace is listening and responding to the members of our online social communities on a daily basis, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and more.
- Work across departments and with other international Greenpeace offices on major projects to develop social media strategy for campaign pushes.
- Manage and coordinate posting on social channels from staff across the organization.
- Develop plans, processes, and content for events.
Minimum requirements include:
- 5+ years experience managing online communications, including content for major social media channels like Facebook, Twitter and other platforms for a brand or nonprofit organization
- 3+ years experience using quantitative and qualitative data to drive iterative social content strategies.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, geographically distributed team
- Ability to write impactful and engaging campaign messaging that resonates with our membership and works toward our priority goals
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent copywriting and editing are essential skills for the position.
- BONUS: Experience with visual content production. This job is primarily to develop and manage a data driven social strategy that enables content producers but some content production skills are ideal.