Federal Policy Advocate
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
Friends of the Earth (Action), Inc. has likewise been fighting for transformational environmental policy for over 50 years, pushing political discourse to center justice and the environment.
The Federal Policy Advocate will support Friends of the Earth’s federal advocacy with Congress and the Executive Branch, working closely with the Government and Political Affairs Manager and collaborating cross-departmentally to advance progressive and transformational federal environmental policy. The Federal Policy Advocate will also assist the Government and Political Affairs Manager with Friends of the Earth Action’s political activities to promote the organization’s political and policy priorities.
- Work closely with the Government and Political Affairs Manager to craft and implement Friends of the Earth’s federal policy strategies.
- Persuasively represent the organizations’ positions and campaign goals to Congress, the Administration, federal agency officials, and other decision makers.
- Research, track and analyze environmental legislation and Executive Branch actions.
- Collaborate with all departments (Programs, Organizing, Communications, Development, and Operations) to promote organizational priorities and objectives.
- Help draft or fact check advocacy and public documents, including fact sheets, letters, backgrounders, action alerts, social media posts, and reports.
- Participate in coalitions and implement coalition strategies that support Friends of the Earth’s campaign goals in Congress and the Administration.
- Assist with Friends of the Earth Action’s political activities, including conducting research on upcoming elections and vetting candidates for potential endorsement.
- Assist the organizations’ Operations Departments with campaign finance and lobbying compliance and disclosure.
- Undertake additional projects as requested and perform other duties as needed or assigned by Friends of the Earth or Friends of the Earth Action.
- 3-5 years of experience in campaigning, organizing, and/or policy advocacy (not limited to environmental topics).
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, and ability to work well within coalitions.
- Working knowledge and understanding of legislative and executive branch processes.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. FOE does not sponsor any employment related visas.
- Passion for environmental, social, and racial justice.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- High degree of professional initiative, time management and accountability.
- Excellent written communication skills and comfort with presenting material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses, and government officials.
- Advanced in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Friends of the Earth and Friends of the Earth (Action), Inc. are equal opportunity employers and encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of their staff.
Tell the employer you found this job at OPAJOBS.COM!