Public Relations Specialist
The National Aquarium is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Public Relations Specialist.
The Public Relations Specialist is responsible for supporting the public relations and media relations efforts within the Marketing team. This position will develop ongoing communications and content such as press releases, pitches and media lists. This position will work to maintain relationships with key media sources, ensuring reputation, opportunity and promotional goals are met.
- Serves as key point person within the Marketing team for all media relations inquiries. Determines if inquiry aligns with strategic priorities of NA and provides recommendation to team for consideration.
- Handles all logistics for on-site or in-studio media activities, to include spokesperson identification, talking points, media training as needed, building logistics, on-site support, etc.
- Identifies and proposes internal stories to help promote general awareness of the National Aquarium to the media and general public.
- Participates on crisis management team, crafting and coordinating messaging as needed.
- Works closely with public relations agencies, when appropriate, to direct and coordinate their efforts on behalf of NA.
- Positions national, regional and local stories to promote the National Aquarium.
- Prepares and distributes press releases, announcements, bylines, case studies, articles, and other written communications.
- Cultivates relationships with media, traditional and new media, and executes proactive media list building.
- Manages calendar listings and media alerts for internal teams/departments.
- Prepares and executes media training for spokespeople/content experts.
- Monitors competitors and market changes.
- Proactively identify award opportunities and develop nominations.
- Provides earned media reporting through weekly, monthly and often per campaign analytics.
- Stays current with all public relations industry developments and best practices and provides ongoing guidance to internal/external partners.
- Works collaboratively with members of the content, digital and social media teams regarding timelines and materials.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- The individual who will thrive in this position is a creative, driven, results-focused professional, who truly values the Aquarium’s commitment to inspiring conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications, public relations, marketing, or related area.
- 2 - 4 years of progressively responsible experience in public relations or related field required.
- Exceptional writing and public speaking skills.
- Decisive and resourceful with the ability to anticipate and act on events and opportunities in an appropriate manner.
- Professional demeanor to represent NA favorably in a public forum.
- Success with managing and performing projects in a multi-tasking environment
- Experience with tight deadlines
- Superior interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a team, exercising sound judgment and managing matrix relationships to meet team goals
- Ability to work nights and weekends, when required
- Strong interest in marine science, sustainability and museum work is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to uphold and promote NA’s values and to link NA’s communications efforts to the values and the mission.
The National Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
Tell the employer you found this job at OPAJOBS.COM!