The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) is seeking a Communications Intern who will support the Communications Department in drafting materials for press and social media. The Communications Intern will write blog posts, draft press releases, and other communication materials for outreach to media, and have local pitching opportunities. This internship will include distributing daily news articles on the environment and political news to LCV staff across the country, maintaining press lists, writing opinion-editorials and coordinating press events and conferences, as needed. The Communications Intern will also work with the Social Media Manager to create content for LCV’s social media channels. The Communications Intern will actively participate in centering racial justice and equity in communications, ensuring cultural competence in all materials that also reflect the environmental justice priorities of our programs. Special projects include producing social media content, press and online materials, and interacting with reporters.
Intern Will Gain Experience in:
● Tracking and distributing daily news articles on the environment and political news to LCV staff across the country.
● Assisting with writing and research for LCV’s weekly tip sheet.
● Drafting press releases, statements, opinion-editorials and other communication materials for outreach to media and blog posts for LCV’s website that are culturally competent and reflect environmental justice priorities, incorporating storytelling where appropriate.
● Maintaining press lists and assisting with the coordination of press events, as needed.
● Actively participating in centering racial justice and equity in communications, ensuring cultural competence in all materials that also reflect the environmental justice priorities of our programs.
● Drafting social media content to post on LCV’s social channels and identify influencers for LCV to consider for partnerships.
● Working with the Social Media Manager to implement a community management strategy -- responding to tweets, Facebook comments, Instagram comments, etc.
● Supporting the Chispa National Communications & Creative Strategies Director in preparing materials and communications for the Chispa program, as needed.
● Working with the Director of Cultural Strategies, as needed, on implementing cultural strategies as part of our communications efforts and programs.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Work Experience: Required - 6 months administrative support work. Preferred - Internship experience. Communications coursework and/or extracurriculars and experience with social media.
● Skills: Required - Highly organized; strong attention to detail; excellent written and oral communications skills; strong research skills; exhibits solid judgment; critical thinking skills; able to work independently and as a team; able to handle multiple tasks; self-starter; proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite. Preferred- Experience with graphic design.
● Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Commitment to environmental protection and the mission of LCV.
● Conditions: This position is based in Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. Please note that most LCV staff and all interns are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Duration: 12 Weeks, September - December 2021 (start and end dates flexible)
Schedule and Compensation: 40 hours per week preferred; $15.20 per hour
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Intern” in the subject line no later than August 4, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.