The National Association of Counties (NACo) seeks a Junior Staff Writer for County News. The association’s newspaper, which recently celebrated its 53rd anniversary, is a dynamic publication as well as a mobile-friendly destination for the latest news about the most important topics in county government. Under the Editor’s supervision, the Junior Staff Writer is responsible for contributing content for each bimonthly issue of the print newspaper. This includes interviewing sources, completing revisions after copy editing and gathering images to accompany articles. The Junior Staff Writer may also be called upon to write online-only articles on tight deadlines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Editor, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Writing — Write at least two to four articles for each issue of County News, from long-format feature articles to short sidebars. Writing also may include revisions of freelancer copy and compilation of standing columns and features.
- Editorial Production — Preparing articles; gathering photos, other images and/or videos; notifying sources when articles are published; assisting with web updates and corrections.
- Article Development — Cultivating and developing story ideas by establishing relationships with staff and other key stakeholders. The writer will be responsible for researching information to support each article and to provide related resources for readers.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or related degree with strong emphasis on writing
- At least 1-2 years of relevant experience
- Editorial skills in writing for print and online
- Experience working in a membership association or advocacy is a plus
- Experience with editing, interviewing, fact-checking and strategic communications
- Must be able to multitask
- Must be detained-oriented
- Ability to write headlines and teasers is a plus
- Ability to work effectively with other people at many levels and a diverse professional environment
NACo is committed to providing excellent customer service and creating quality experiences for our stakeholders. If you are creative, energetic and passionate about your work, please send a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to email@example.com. Include at least three clips or samples of your writing with your resume.
Employees of NACo enjoy a fun and challenging environment with a wide range of competitive benefits. Benefits include comprehensive medical, vision and dental insurance coverage; paid holidays and leave; tuition reimbursement; group life insurance, 401(k) match and pension plans; credit union membership; and short-term/long-term disability coverage.
NACo is an equal opportunity employer. Our jobs are open to all applications regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.