States United Democracy Center, a nonpartisan organization focused on the critical role states play in election protection, is hiring a Press Secretary. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Strategic Partnerships, the Press Secretary will be a core member of the organization’s growing Communications team. The Press Secretary will focus on media outreach, relationship building, and implementing the organization’s communications strategy.
About the Organization:
States United Democracy Center is a new and growing nonpartisan organization advancing free, fair, and secure elections. We focus on connecting state officials, law enforcement leaders, and pro-democracy partners across America with the tools and expertise they need to safeguard our democracy. During the 2020 election, then known as the Voter Protection Program, we quickly became a go-to resource for state leaders, the press, and partner organizations. By bringing together current and former governors, secretaries of state, attorneys general, and law enforcement leaders for the first time, we helped build a nonpartisan firewall against those trying to undermine democracy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Draft talking points, press releases, media advisories, newsletters, op-eds, and backgrounders on a variety of issues related to States United’s mission.
- Respond to incoming press inquiries.
- Send out press releases and pitch stories to press lists and target reporters.
- Coordinate, prepare, and staff interviews and press calls with States United leaders and key stakeholders.
- Coordinate outreach to States United stakeholders and allies for States United programs or key moments.
- Monitor national & state news, brainstorm, and pitch stories on the state and national level.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters and press nationally and in target states.
- Maintain updated and organized national and state press lists for core issue areas and target states.
- Some administrative duties including compiling press clip reports, overseeing subscriptions, and managing logistics for press events.
- Three (3) years of experience in communications, campaigns, and/or advocacy.
- Clear, strong, and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated track record working with reporters, crafting communications plans, and shaping the narrative or breaking through in challenging communications environments.
- Active follower of the news cycle and basic understanding of how traditional media and social media intersect.
- Attention to detail and accuracy—especially across the drafting process with multiple editors or stakeholders in a remote environment.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely about complex topics.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management and troubleshooting skills that enable the juggling of multiple tasks, allocating and optimizing resources, and managing timelines.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
- 3+ years of experience in a non-profit, political, government, or academic setting a plus.
Salary will be between $50,000-$70,000 and is commensurate to experience.
States United Democracy Center offers generous benefits including paid time off, health, vision, dental, and retirement plans.
This position will be remote in the short-term. Our offices will be based in Washington, DC with the option for the Press Secretary to be based in DC or Boston, MA.
Tell the employer you found this job at OPAJOBS.COM!